In a well-written, clearly articulate essay, address the following prompts.
Essays will be 4 pages and follow MLA style guidelines. You must have a
strong thesis and supporting evidence.
1. Discuss how different authors we’ve read use the idea of the Romantic
“ideal.” Be sure to discuss form and style (i.e. first person narrative,
2. How do the American authors we have read express the idea of “self”
in their writing? In what ways do the authors address individualism?
3. Analyze the ways in which the Early American authors we’ve read
deal with non-white cultures. (You might contrast Rowlandson with
4. Why do you see the idea of the romantic individual as important to
American history and culture? (Use the authors we’ve read to
illustrate your ideas.
List of Author’s and thier works we have read:
1. Lauter, Paul, ed. The Heath Anthology of American Literature. 7th ed., vol. A & vol. B., Wadsworth, 2014.
2. Sedgwick, Catharine Maria. Hope Leslie or, Early Times in the Massachusetts. Penguin, 1998.
3. Native American Culture or Tradition, Winthrop and Bradford Reading
4. After the Mayflower
5. Mary White Rowlandson
6. The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave
7. Emerson and Thoreau
8. “Young Goodman Brown” – Hawthorne
9. William Cullen Bryant (author info.)— “The Yellow Violet”
Ralph Waldo Emerson (author info.) — “The Snow-Storm”
George Moses Horton (author info.)— “On Liberty and Slavery”
Emma Lazarus (author info.)— “The New Colossus”
Emily Dickinson (author info.)— “Tell all the truth but tell it slant-“